Tuesday, June 15, 2010

"I Want Only To Capture A Minute Part Of Reality"

Last week I went to the MoMA with Charley and saw two amazing exhibits. Pictures by Women: A History of Modern Photography included works from some of my favorite female photographers, such as Diane Arbus, Nan Golden, and Imogen Cunningham.

I also checked out Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century. Walking into the exhibit surrounded by 300 of his photographs, I was overcome with the feeling that I was surrounded by the master of photography, the father of the decisive moment. It was magical to see some of my favorite images up close, further enforcing that Henri (1908-2004) was a master of his craft. Fun Henri fact: apparently he was a horrible printer and many of the images in the exhibit were recently re-printed for better contrast quality. Also, I've seen documentaries about him and heard him speak about his work and he seemed like the most adorable old french man.

Enjoy some of his iconic images:

(my favorite image)





The exhibit runs through June 28th and it is a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment