Saturday, April 10, 2010

Drown

I recently finished the book Drown by Junot Diaz. Diaz's collection of short stories talk about adjusting to life from the Dominican Republic to New Jersey, abandonment, and sexual desire. I don't think it's as good as his other book, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, but it was still an enjoyable read. Diaz is known as being a Dominican-American writer and teachers creative writing at MIT. I heard him speak when he came to Oberlin in the fall and I remember this joke he made when he was addressing the fact that he is known as a Dominican-American writer. He said something along the lines of the fact that his students are always asking him "where did you get your inspiration from/who is your favorite Dominican/Hispanic author?" Diaz replied "well who is your favorite white author?" I thought that was really amusing and clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment